High-Energy /Nuclear Theory
27 May 2011
Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 February 2014 15:54
High-Energy/Nuclear Theory Group
Check out our new group seminar link: http://hep.utep.edu/Seminar
Research in the high-energy/nuclear theory group is focused on the properties of quark matter under extreme conditions such as high density, high temperature and strong magnetic fields.
Quarks are the building blocks of neutrons and protons. The fundamental theory that governs the interactions between quarks and gluons is called Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD). Even though over the last decades we have seen a lot of progress in the understanding of the properties of quark matter at the most extreme conditions, a new era of heavy-ion collision experiments is testing the limits of our theoretical knowledge. These experiments are exploring intermediate regions of temperatures and densities where the application of QCD is limited due to the strong coupling between quarks and gluons, and hence physicists have to rely on model calculations and nonperturbative approaches. In our group we are interested in investigating this particularly challenging region of the QCD phase map and the possible implications for astrophysics. At present, we are trying to understand what governs the transition from quarks and gluons into hadrons and mesons, what matter phases exist in the core of neutron stars, how is the core's phase influenced by the star's strong magnetic field, and what kind of observable signatures can help us distinguishing one possible phase from another.
Some recent papers of the group:
1) Cooper Pair's Magnetic Moment in MCFL Color Superconductivity. Bo Feng, Efrain J. Ferrer, Vivian de la Incera, May 2011. 17pp. e-Print: arXiv:1105.2498 [nucl-th]
2) Paraelectricity in Magnetized Massless QED. Efrain J. Ferrer, Vivian de la Incera, Angel Sanchez, Mar 2011. e-Print: arXiv:1103.5152 [hep-ph]
3) Magnetic Tuning of the Relativistic BCS-BEC Crossover. Jin-cheng Wang, Vivian de la Incera, Efrain J. Ferrer, Qun Wang, Dec 2010. e-Print: arXiv:1012.3204 [nucl-th]
4) Equation of state for the MCFL phase and its implications for compact star models. L. Paulucci, Efrain J. Ferrer, Vivian de la Incera, J.E. Horvath, Oct 2010. Phys.Rev.D83:043009,2011.
5) Equation of State of a Dense and Magnetized Fermion System. Efrain J. Ferrer, Vivian de la Incera, Jason P. Keith, Israel Portillo, Paul P. Springsteen, Phys.Rev.C82:065802, 2010.
6) Dynamically Generated Anomalous Magnetic Moment in Massless QED. Efrain J. Ferrer, Vivian de la Incera, Nucl.Phys.B824:217-238,2010.
Dr. Vivian Incera
Dr. Efrain J. Ferrer
Dr. Bo Feng
Dr. Angel Sanchez
Churna Bhandari (M.S. 6/2011)